Friday, February 22, 2008

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"
-William Morris


I couldn't agree with this more! In fact, I was just having a conversation about this with my sil the other day. Many years ago, I read Simplify Your Life by Elaine St. James and, while I wouldn't take to heart EVERY suggestion in it, overall, I found the principles and suggestions to be SO, well, life changing. Yeah. I'll go that far. And one of the things she proposed was to get rid of every little knick-knack and thing in your house that you don't really LOVE. I mean, why put your energy into dusting, moving around, re-arranging, etc. something you don't really love? And then, after you do this, you are surrounded by things that really lift you, bring beauty into your life and/or mean the most to you. Isn't that great? You have to ask yourself with each thing sitting around your house (other than utilitarian things - and even those can often be found in a more beautiful form...), "do I really love this? What does it mean to me? Why am I holding on to it?" And if it doesn't float your boat for some kind of major reason - then TOSS it! It's freeing! (And greatly reduces clutter, as well!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've tagged you for a game. You are not required to play. If you don't participate in games, or don't have the time, don't worry.