Monday, February 4, 2008

"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all."
Harriet van Horne

That's my son cooking away there. He's a "professional" cook right now. As for me, at this point in my life I don't "cook with abandon" too often. I have been cooking more regularly lately (living up to one of my 2008 goals AND my "word of the year" (productive). But it's only because I don't want dh to get upset with me because I just leave it up to him all the time. He does like to cook, but he likes it when I cook as well. So, we've worked it out.

When my kids were small, I made EVERYthing from scratch - from bread, to yogurt, to granola. And since we were homeschooling, I had the time to cook. But I think I burned myself out. Then, when I went back to work, dh started cooking out of necessity. (He would cook upon occasion before that, but only if HE felt like it.) When I started working again, I would just come home so exhaused and he found out pretty quickly that if HE didn't cook, NObody cooked! (Btw, he was working 3 days a week and I was working 5 days a week. Okay, I'm not counting the 2nd job he does at home, but still...) And just why is the woman "expected" to cook, anyway? So all that changed and I think he now realizes that it needs to be a shared task. I can handle that. And I don't mind cooking half the time.

But do I cook with abandon? No, but I have been known to EAT with abandon! :)