Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"Be the change that you want to see in the world" -Mohandas Ghandi

When I read that inspiring quote, it makes me think of these verses in the Bible, which I've quoted from "The Message" translation:

If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head, Doesn't force itself on others, Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end. Love never dies. -1Co 13:3-8

I love "The Message" translation. It take ancient and sometimes difficult words to understand, and brings them right to our time.

I think one of the biggest and best changes we could see in our world which is so full of war, hate crimes, senseless killings, and abuses of all kinds, is to LOVE more. Really love. I mean, look again at those verses. How many of us (myself included!) really love that way? And sure, it's easy to try to love that way those who already love you or who appear to be "love-able". But I think the lesson is that everyone needs love and needs to be loved. That's where the rubber meets the road, doesn't it? Taking the time to look that annoying person in the eye and really love them by giving them our full attention instead of the brush-off or our judgment. Or by seeing a need and doing what we can to meet it rather than walking away. We can love by forgiving that person that has hurt us so much. Or by being kind when we haven't had kindness given to us. It's not about what people deserve. It's about what we are willing to freely give - no strings attached. These are the things that can slowly change at least the world around us - by first changing US. Because we can't just go through the motions - or else it's empty, useless. We must extend love from a heart of love. I believe that can only happen by receiving the amazing love of God ourselves first and then channeling that love to others. Kind of like the always-repeated demo on the airplane; you must put the mask on yourself before you try to help anyone else.

So, I am challenged by this quote to BE the love to others in this world that is so in need of love. And even if it only touches my small little realm of life, that's good. Love has a ripple effect...

No comments: