Sunday, January 27, 2008

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Dirty Harry


Luck. The dictionary defines the word as follows: "The chance happening of fortunate or adverse events; fortune: They met one day out of pure luck."

Here I am faced with this word again this week and again finding myself resistant to it. See, I just don't believe that fortunate - or adverse - things, happen by chance. I believe in a sovereign God who is in control and who is the giver of all good things. I believe that if I'm in an adverse situation, it's because He's allowed it, somehow, for my greater good. I believe that if I am enjoying good things, it's because He has given them. And I believe God allows us to make choices for which we will suffer or enjoy, the consequences. Sometimes, when we make poor choices, God is gracious enough to protect us from ourselves. He also knows that there are times when we will learn best just by bearing the full brunt of the consequences of our actions. I've experienced both.

I know a lot of it is semantics. I'm not too bent out of shape by it. But I just want to recognize that I'm not a lucky girl, I'm a blessed girl! And, yes, I DO feel blessed today!

No comments: