Tuesday, January 29, 2008


"Always leave enough room in your life to do something that makes you happy, satisfied, or even joyous."
Paul Hawken

I can't say it enough. Having time in my scrap room REALLY makes me happy. Because I find that I'm constantly thinking about scrapping, so when I actually have time to get in there and create - that's my happy zone. That's my happy place.

It's about creating and thinking about who or what I'm scrapping for, but it's also an escape. A place I can go where, generally, the world does not intrude. Is that a bad thing? Well, I suppose if I was in there 24/7, but I'm not - yet! But I've definitely left plenty of room in my life for this time...

There's lots of other things that make me happy (this is all besides my family, as the prompt suggested): Singing praise songs (loudly) in the car; sunny days; great food; laughing with friends; reading a great book or seeing a great movie (more escapism!); the beauty of God's creation; quiet time.

Happiness should not be confused with joy, however. Happiness is very circumstantial. In other words, happiness very much is dependant on what's going on around you at any given time. It can come and go rather quickly. Above, I wrote about happiness.

But now, what about joy?. I see joy as something that comes from within, that is not based on circumstances, but is at the heart of my being, my Spirit. It's God's love - in me. That makes me thankful every time I think about it. It makes me want to do better, live better, be better. But that same love is unconditional. I don't need to be better to have it. I already have it - no matter what I do. THAT is joy, my friend. THAT does not change regardless of whatever my outer circumstances are. God's love. THAT gives me joy.

No comments: