Wednesday, March 12, 2008


"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

-Howard Thurman

What makes you come alive? Is it your work, your family, your hobby or just being here?

Really, anything where my senses are engaged makes me feel alive. Good things like creating, great conversation, kindness, passion, compassion, great music, great beauty (whether in people, actions or creation, art, etc.) all do it for me. But "un-happy" things - like anger - can certainly make me feel alive, too! If someone is being cruel, abusive, ignorant or dishonest, it lights a fire under me.

I'll tell you what sucks the life out of me - negative people. People that aren't happy unless they're complaining about something or someone. People that don't "try", but stay stuck in their ruts (when they clearly need to get "un"stuck), making the same mistakes over and over. Arrogant people that are just full of themselves. Ugh. I tend to gravitate far, far away from that when I sense it. It just totally makes me feel down.

So, yeah, I prefer to do things and be with people that will stimulate, hopefully in a positive way, my senses. Because if I'm going to feel alive, I prefer to feel HAPPY and alive! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you are looking better - don't you hate being sick? It so interupts what you would rather be doing!

Martha said...

I can't tell you how much I agree with you here! Great thoughts and journaling.